Tuesday, January 15, 2008

Eyeball Bunny

This is E.B He weighs 1 pound 4 ounces - thats all you get! he's fully grown..... Maybe he weighed more when he had both his eyes - but things happen when you are stuck on an island with owls, crows and hawks. What you are seeing in the pic below is the pussie scab covering his infected left eye after something did something horrific to it cousing it to get so infected that it exploded. How this guy survived with out getting septic and going into shock and dying I have no idea. The pain must have been tremondous. The vet cleaned everything out and sewed his lid shut, he is healing now on 2 different antibiotics. He lives in my bedroom fireplace that now has hay in it and actually makes a great cage. At night he sleeps in a build-a-bear box. If he makes it ok - I hope he can be one of my teaching bunnies - After all he's been through - E.B. Should at least have a chance to tell his story.



This last pic is E.B.'s brother -?? I think.... I cnat catch him! but he is equal in size and has blue eyes just like E.B.'s remaining one. My theory on these tiny guys is that they are the only size bunniesthat fit through the hole in the fence. All the larger bunnies on the island clearly have a family resemblance, but these guys - these guys are a strange lot of miscellaneous tiny bunny breeds. It's really not suprising, a lot of people assume that all bunnies get along and that their unwanted pet will be welcoomed with open paws by an existing colony of dumped bunnies. Unfortunately, the reality is more like dumping a membe rof a street gang wearing full colors and tattoos in the center of a rival gang's territory.

I'll keep trying to catch that other guy, but so far, no luck - he's fast and smart. I sure hope that that will be enough to save him from the other predators between my trips to the Island....

No comments: